Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Personal Reflection: The life saver tape recorder

Utilization of adaptive technology has been used in my life. I didn't refer to it as assistive technology due to my lack of knowledge of low-tech to high tech devices. Through my studies I have learned that we all have used adaptive technology in some shape or form throughout our lives without realizing that it was Assistive Technology. After reflecting on the events in my life where this occurred I discovered that the use of a tape recorder served as an AT device which helped me through a particular class. While pursuing my undergrad work at the University of Louisville, I took a Anthropology course in which there was a visiting professor from a foreign country. It was very difficult for me to understand his lectures. I felt that I was missing out on important pieces of information that was detrimental for my success throughout the class. I wanted to gain as much knowledge as possible from this class. Although I wasn't majoring in Anthropology, I strongly believe that every class serves a purpose, and you should be able to take something from it to use in the real world. Although I wasn't the only person unable to comprehend my professors language, I knew that I had to do something to assist me with this devistating issue. After the fifth class, I accumulated all of my lecture notes. I only had three full pages of notes in a course that didn't involve lecture using a powerpoint presentation. Talking and following a literature book consisted of the method of teaching by my professor. That's when I discussed this issue with my mother. She told me a story about when she was in college facing a similar issue. She explained to me that I should consider using a mini tape recorder to help alleviate the problem. The idea of using a mini tape recorder seemed like a great tool that would allow me to catch on to the information that was being discussed in the lectures. It wouldn't cause any distractions to my surrounding peers, and would give me a sense of motivation. The following class I sat closer to the front of the room. With the click of a button, recording was on its way. Although I still couldn't comprehend everything that was being said, I knew that once I arrived home replaying the tape recorder would serve its purpose well. As I listened cautiously, Iwas able to pick up on the information. Having the option to press rewind as many times as I need was very helpful. As I listened vigilantly, I wrote my notes with precise organization. As the class proceeded throughout the semester,I grew to appreciate the assistance of the tape recorder. When I received my final grade, unaware that the tool I was using was categorized under a mid to high-tech assistive device, I would prevail in a similar situation. I still have that same old tape recorder today. The wonderful thing that I have learned is that this small piece of equipment that I had been using all alone is referred to as Assistive Technology. Whenever I use to hear the word assistive technology I would automatically of computers or other software related to computers. Today due to the knowledge that I have obtained, I understand that AT can be on a low to high tech continuum. It can be something as simple as using play dough for a pencil grip to help students with poor fine motor skills. Even giving a student extra time to complete a test, or in my case the tape recorder can become assistive technology. What it is even more amazing is that everyday we use some form of AT, especially on the low-tech end. We are so caught up in completing a task or going about our busy live's that we never stop to think the tool we are using at the moment is assistive technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment