Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Personal Reflection: Planning for the Future

As I transition through this course, I obtain more critical knowledge about Assistive
technology. I'm learning what is assistive technology, and what is not. As thoughts continue to
come to my mind, I realized that I have used some some sort of Adaptive Technologhy without being aware that is a form of assistive technology. Throughout high school I realized that I was having difficulty remembering assignments that my teachers would assign. At times I would forget page numbers, how many chapters to read, and important due dates. I would find myself calling friends to asked that what was assigned for homework. Sometimes I would complete assignments ahead of time thinking that they were due the following day, but in reality not until the end of the week. When making the jump from middle school to highschool, I was use to my teachers giving constant reminders of homework assignments and due dates. If a assignment was late in middle schoool, it was okay to bring it back the next day for full credit. When I arrived to high school, it didn't take long to realize that life was now about growing up. I rapidly learned that I had to take responsibility for my school work and actions. I knew that I had to stop depending on others and take some kind of ownership in my learning. I began to understand that I had control over how much I learned, and how much I wanted to learn. I wanted to become a student that was instrinsically motivated. Being a multi-sport student athlete playing football, basketball, and track, I wanted an opportunity to play at the collegiate level. I had to become dedicated in the classroom and maintain a high grade point average. That's when it popped into my head. Scheduling, time management, planning and organization were going to help me achieve my educational goals to the maximum extent possible. I went to the store and bought a planner the size of a note book. This way I could implement some organization into my daily life and school. My planner became my bestfriend which guided me to remember important things I needed to know. I would write each class, assignments, and due dates in my planner everyday. I began to understand that teachers see numerous faces on a day to day basis. This became great preparation for college in my opinion, so I took it very serious. I was on my way to independence and becoming a responsible young man. My entire time in high school I never realized that the planner I bought was serving as assistive technology on the low-tech end. Most importantly, if someone would ask me what AT meant, I would have told them something to do with computers. Now that I have had time to reflect and learn more about AT, I can began to appreciate the little things such as the planner that helped me to gain organization and keep track of my educational life. My planner definitely helped assist me and become more aware of task that needed to be completed. It has helped me transition throughout college greatly. I wouldn't be able to retain vital information essential for my busy schedule. Assistive Technology has come so far since my days in high school. I have witnessed evidence of my previous statement. Today I still use a planner, except it's on my at&t phone instead of notebook form. It still helps me remain organized and holds me accountable for my learning and daily scheduling. Important date remind me with a specific ring tone on my phone. Today I have learned that the planner that got me on the right path is referred to as Assistive Technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment