Thursday, July 8, 2010

Personal Reflection:Modification and reformatting in LBD classroom

Education definitely changes lives in my opinion. I seem to learn more and more about the world of assistive technology in my current studies. I have become more self-conscious about tools that I use everyday. I have become this way because the little things that help assist us, we would never imagine that it is defined as assistive technology. better yet when we think of assistive technology or the term technology, we view it in a physical aspect. By this I mean we percieve as an actual tool such as a computer, calculator, or large keyboard. this is where we get confused of the meaning AT, in which I have been guilty of this perception in the past. IDEA 2004 incorporates the point of viewing the definition of assistive technology in terms of services instead of a physical device used by an individual with a disability. This helps us understand the concept of the term and helps us distinguish this common misconception. Providing a device is not enough and doesn'y guarentee that an individual is going to benefit alone from it. Once the concept of assistive technology has become clear, we can understand the many underlying that can play a role in serving as a form of assistive technology.With this being said, I have had numerous opportunities to reflect on a time in my own life that I used adaptive technology but was unaware that it was considered a form of assistive technology. As I have worked further along in my graduate studies I have learned the importance of understanding students with disabilities. I have learned how to accomodate their needs and modify the curriculum. Students with learning disabilities learn in different ways, a variety of rates, and are solely unique in their own special way. It is indispensable to get to know your students as individuals to form trusting relationships. Knowing their needs and how they learn best will enhance their educational experience throughout your class. I have had the opportunity to take what I have learned throughout my course work and implement the knowledge in hands on experiences through subbing for Jefferson County Public Schools. A long-term teaching assignment for a LBD class was given to me in which I had an ample amount of time to understand the needs and necessary modifications for each student. Student's disabilities consisited of autism, Attention Deficit disorder and mood disorders. A particular student with autism would become frustrated with writing activities. It was difficult to keep him seated during these writing activities and most importantly maintaining his focus to complete his daily assignments. I knew I needed to make some modifications and accomodations to help him achieve success in writing. I began allowing him to type his morning writing on the computer. It also served as a positive reinforcement technique. The agreement was to let this student begin the day typing his writing as an alternative. If he completed the rest of his daily assignments by hand and remained attentive throughout the day, he last assignment at the end of the day could be done again on the computer. I found this strategy to be very successful. Considering that he learned different than the other five students in my class, I found it useful to reformat the way test were given to him as well. Converting writing aspects of his test to more of short answer and multiple-choice motivated the student. Now that I have had time to reflect on my past experience with this particular student, I realized that reformatting the students test served as a form of assistive technology. Also giving the student the option to conduct his writing activities on the computer rather than by hand served as a service. Further more it served as an accomodation and helped fulfill his needs due to his autism. At the time I didn't realize that I was providing assistive technology and a serve to my student.

No comments:

Post a Comment